This chart shows new monthly loan originations at Prosper over the last 12 months. The chart is based on the listing start date which may cause a slight lag in the numbers, but also prevents the monthly numbers from being inflated by an end-of-the-month push in loan originations. More Charts
And on a related note, I've been having a few issues with the data export from Prosper lately that has caused data updates to be a bit sporadic over the last couple weeks. I think I have them worked out at this point though, and I expect things to be updating normally again in a day or two.
Thanks for hanging in there and bearing with me!
I just published the new Lates By Payment report. This report should give you an idea of how default risk changes as a loan ages. We would of course expect that as more and more on-time payments are made, the risk of a loan defaulting decreases. The information on this report should help to quantify that effect with real numbers. I'm especially excited about the possibilities this has for improving return estimates for portfolios and for pricing loans in a secondary market (such as the one LendingClub.com uses, or the one Prosper is rumored to be working on.)
Over the last couple months, I also put out a few other site changes that I've neglected to announce here (call me lazy I guess). Member pages now have an "Endorsements" tab so you can see who is endorsing whom, as well as endorsement history when endorsements are withdrawn. I've also updated the lates by age report to include a 30 month late category. We are finally getting close to actually having some "fully aged" 36 month loans out there!
Along with the design update, I have a laundry list of improvements to the site as well:
- I've replaced the old "Find a lender" box with the new search bar you see under the tabs. You can now search for lenders, groups, or listings by title or borrower right from there.
- The Loan Search & Analysis tool now has a "lender" option to search for loans by lender. You can also do lender "What-if" searches from there, or you can follow the new links from a lender's loan and what if pages to view the loan and what-if analysis.
- The Group Promotion tool has been fixed. The previous version didn't work very well because of security precautions in most browsers that disallow cross-site scripting. The new code for that tool should resolve this.
- Lender signature image backgrounds are now transparent. Now they should blend in with the background color of the website you display them on rather than showing up as a white box.
- I've added the new Listing Category field to the Borrower Segments report. So, you can now see stats by listing category (personal loans, business loans, debt consolidation, etc.) All the data there is still pretty new though, so don't read too much into what you see there yet.
- I've improved the lender "what-if" screen to separate it out into multiple pages for larger lenders. It should also be significantly faster now as well.
- I've added a new Links area with links to a few other great p2p lending resources and blogs
- I've updated the Borrower Segments report to include average loan age for each segment. This should help with understanding the significance of the late rate figures there.
I'm sure I missed a few things in that list, but that should capture the majority of the changes for this release. Hope you enjoy the new site!
- I am now consistently loading data from Prosper's new private data export. This means more accurate extended credit breakdown info on the lender pages and more accurate and up to date information in the borrower segments report.
- I've updated the calculation for the lender amount invested field to use a better method of estimating current loan values. This should result in much more accurate numbers there.
- The data load process for this site has been completely re-engineered which should result in much faster and more consistent updates to the data here.
A couple bug fixes to announce as well - The filter by origination date on the loan search screen should be working correctly now. I've also fixed an issue with the prosper bidding activity chart that was causing it to not load correctly.
Also, in response to Prosper's new feature allowing borrowers to take out more than one loan, I've modified the repeat borrowers report to include borrowers who have not yet paid off their current loan, but are going back for another one.
- I added a Current Listings tab to the group pages that will display that group's current listings in real time.
- I also added a Supporting Lenders tab to the group pages to show you which lenders are supporting a group, along with some data about those lenders.
- I've also updated the calculation of total amount loaned for lenders to use the new current loan balance data provided by Prosper. This should mean more accurate totals for most lenders (these figures should be updated by end of day on 8/28)
I've seen that many group leaders have an area on their site to display current listings for their group, but they often don't keep it regularly updated. So, I've created an AJAX based tool that you can simply copy-and-paste into your website to automatically display your group's current listings on your website. I have a number of other tools for group leaders planned as well, so if you have any suggestions, let me know!
Also, recent changes to the Prosper.com API have allowed me to make better matches between listings and loans. Instead of inferring the relationship from the data, Prosper is now providing that link. This means more accurate loan information for everybody!
- New Prosper Listing Volume report that shows listing growth and funding percentages over time and can be filtered by credit grade as well.
- I updated the Lender Brackets chart to show both the lender count by bracket as well as the dollars invested by bracket.
- I've updated the lender summary pages, removed some of the more useless information and added a loan breakdown by status table at the bottom to give you a quick overview of the lender's portfolio. I also made some significant performance improvements to that screen. It should be much faster for large lenders now.
- I've added pagination to the lender loan pages to make things a bit faster for lenders with lots of loans. I also improved the sorting method when sorting by status and credit grade to put things in a more intuitive order.
- I updated the Prosper Bidding Activity screen to add a 14 day moving average to the chart. This should help smooth things out and make the overall bidding trends over time more obvious.
Many people have asked for this for a long time now, so I've finally added a Group List feature with individual profile pages for every group on Prosper.
Much of the data on the profile pages is either data I've had for a while but never used or newly computed data, so be on the lookout for bugs. If you see anything suspicious in the data, let me know!
You may have seen my signature images on the Prosper.com forums but didn't know how to get one yourself. I've now added a screen that will allow you to generate the code for putting those images in your forum signature or on your website (It's on the Lender Stats menu). I've also added a new "mini-banner" format that complies with the forum policies on Prosper.com
Also, for group leaders, I've added the ability for you to receive notifications when a post is made on our forums about a loan in your group. You should see the new check box in the Email Options section of your My Account page when you log into the site.
I've added some very powerful filtering and sorting capabilities to the Lenders By Amount Invested report as well as the Lenders By ROI and Diversified Lenders By ROI reports. This will allow you to cut down the data into smaller chunks and find what you are looking for more easily. As a matter of fact, all three of those reports are now really just one unified lender report with different default sorts and filters.
A few minor updates this time around. First, you'll notice that the tabs at the top of the site have been changed and dropdown menus have been added. This should make navigation a bit easier. Second, the group best funding charts have been updated with a dropdown to select the time period to use when calculating the best groups. This was suggested to make the results a bit more relevant to today, as some of the better groups are now inactive or have been closed to new members. Finally, the EricsCC ROI calculation should now take into account the 4+ month late loans correctly.
It's been a while since I made any major updates to the site worth noting here. My wife and I just had our 3rd child at the end of April, so the last couple months have been very busy. But now I'm back at it again with a new feature that many people have been requesting. If you log in to your account, you will see that you now have a "Lender Watch" tab. This replaces the old "Watch List" tab which is now unecessary since Prosper has implemented a watch list feature on the Prosper.com site. Using the Lender Watch, you can receive e-mail notifications when a lender you would like to watch places a bid. This is based on Prosper's new real-time API, so you will receive the notifications within about 15 minutes or so of the bid being placed.
Also, Prosper recently made some changes to the loan status classifications. The "3+ month late" category was removed, and a "3 month late" and "4+ month late" category were added. I've made some changes to the site to work with these new status codes, but the EricsCC ROI calculation doesn't seem to quite be taking them into account correctly yet. Expect that to be fixed shortly.
Prosper will give you a $25 bonus after you invest $50 of your own, and Lending Club will start you off with a free $25 after making your first transfer.
- Prosper Lender List
- Listing Discussion Forum
- Borrower Segments
- Loan Search & Analysis
- Interest Rate History